Thursday, April 26, 2012

Is Imitation the Sincerest Form of Flattery?


It is better to fail in originality than to succeed in imitation. Herman Melville.

I am constantly amazed at how many people copy my trips, but would not dream of actually coming on the trip with me. Most recently, I ran a trip for my local club to the summit of Mount Lasca. The trip was officially full at six people, but two of those were Doug and myself, and the four others were close friends. I had no waiting list and no inquiries outside of my friends. Yet, a couple of weeks later, people were asking me for beta and going out and following my exact route.

I can't count how many times over the years this has occurred. Some people have the audacity - at least it seems audacious to me - to do the exact same trip the day after I do it. Or, to say "That trip sounds interesting, I'm going to go out and do it with so and so." Some even sign up for my trip, cancel and then do the trip a day later with their own group.

Should I be flattered that my trips are interesting enough that people want to replicate them? Or annoyed because, despite their interest in the trip, these people wouldn't actually think of coming with me?

Party on the  most recently copied trip

No comments:

Post a Comment