Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Inspiration

A while ago, I met a guy who has changed the way I look at climbing. On our recent trip to EPC, I admit I was feeling every day of my 48 years, and was beginning to think "I am just too old for this kind of stuff." Then I met Mr X, who, as it turns out, is only four years younger than me, and, through diligence, hard work, tenacity and raw desire had, for the first time in years, pushed his maximum climbing grade up 3 or 4 notches.

What did I learn from Mr X:
  • Don't make excuses. You aren't too old, too short, too weak or too heavy, you just aren't trying hard enough;
  • Take responsibility. If you blow the move, look at what you did that resulted in you coming off. Were you in balance, were you weighting your feet correctly, using holds the best possible way, what could you change to succeed next time?
  • Train hard, but train smart;
  • Learn everything you can, and then more;
  • Never give up;.
  • Believe that you can do it;
  • Climb just because you love it.
Climb on.

Going for a hold on Satori

No comments:

Post a Comment